but whoever humbles himself shall be exalted
Here are some biblical models for humility
A. The Lord [Philippians 2:6, 3:9]
B. Matthew 18:1-4
Verse 1 Disciples wanted privilege and glory.
Verse 2 Jesus called the child, he did not know why, he just came because the Master called him. He knew nothing in a sense, but the Word’s voice.
Verse 3-4; Disciples were humbled by the example of a child.
This child was the closest to humility and was used as an object lesson to them because children know little but just trust in God. That is like us, we know little but must learn to trust him. There should be no place for price and ambition.
You say, yes agreed, we ought to be humble but how do we do it?
I do not pretend to know all the answers but here are some suggestions.
1. Level with God; Get down on your knees regularly and confess your sins to him, begging forgiveness and admit to him you can do absolutely nothing for him in the power of the flesh. Declare your total dependence on him, ask him to reveal your areas of pride.
2. Admit to yourself that you do not have all the spiritual gifts, abilities and that you are interdependent on your brother and sisters in church. Count them more worthy than yourself.
3. Confess your faults one to another
4. Confess your worldly ambitions and desires to God and ask him to remove them (red lizards). Ask a brother or sister to pray for you.
5. Ask God to remove that in you that loves to near your name mentioned. I need this.
6. Ask God for opportunities to serve people
7. Wash the feet of the saints
8. Fast regularly, puts flesh and pride down low.
Caution- the danger of False Humility
God commands certain acts of humility, but the worshipping of angels was not one of them. We must worship God alone. The puffed up proud human mind reasoned that holy angels are superior beings. Our worship is meant to be done in humility (outward) not with inward pride and spiritual superiority.
We should ask God what he wants from us in terms of humility and remember that our acts of the flesh have no reward.